Reset Filename Counter for Sub-Folders

Got a great suggestion for improving BatchPhoto? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Joachim

Dear,

I've been trying out the program for thousands of images at once. Here is an example structure of some holiday-pictues:
main folder: TRAVELS
Subfolders are different travels: France, Italy, ...

I'd like to batch resize all these images to have a low-res version of them on my hard-drive and put the rest in back-up. So: I'd like to maintain the original folder structure.
I'd also like to add a counter to the images, but here rises a problem:
-> the counter continues instead of resetting itself with any new folder.
I'd like to have 001_France.jpg; 002_France.jpg, ... and 001_Italy.jpg, 002_Italy.jpg; ...
Only work-around I see now is to process each travel/country separately.

Is there another work-around, or if not, maybe it's a good suggestion to add a 'reset counter for subfolders' checkbox.

Thanks!
Joachim
Cosmin

Hi Joachim,

Thank you for your detailed feedback!

As you noticed the counter number is incremented for each photo in your current batch. So if you want the counter to reset and start again from 1 (or whatever number you specify) you need to process a new batch of photos.

I can suggest a different solution for you if you are running BatchPhoto on Windows: Create a profile with your edits. Then from Explorer you can easily select all your photos from a given folder and from the right-click menu select BatchPhoto > Apply Profile > Your Profile. That way you will still have to process your photos in different batches but it will be faster.

Please let me know if this is a good solution for you.
Regards,
Mike Cosmin Unguru
Product Manager
redkar10

I really like your app. This counter thing is definitely a problem for me. We have 43 folders a day, each one gets up to 20 photos. They ftp right to the website. I order to find the files we use foldername + _01 through _20. So if the counter doesn't reset by folder I have a problem. It isn't feasible to do this manually everyday 43 times. Are there any other solutions for getting the counters to reset when a folder is created?
Cosmin

Hello,

All the photos in a batch will have sequential numbers. The only thing is to not add a counter at all but the [DateTime] keyword and rename your photos to the date taken.

We will consider resetting the counter for new folders as a new feature.
Regards,
Mike Cosmin Unguru
Product Manager
jsouthwick

I see this is a post from 2 years ago. Do you have an update on adding this feature? I manage approximately 50,000 apartment photos in separate subfolders and we name our images 01.jpg, 02.jpg, 03.jpg etc. I purchased the Enterprise version and everything works great EXCEPT that the counter doesn't reset. Unfortunately I cannot use a different naming structure, and the primary reason for purchasing this software was to manage pictures in batches.

Thank you so much.
Cosmin

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

We will evaluate if this feature is feasible for the next version of BatchPhoto.
Regards,
Mike Cosmin Unguru
Product Manager
jlds01

FYI: I would have bought the Enterprise edition, but resetting the counter per subfolder is mandatory for me. Too bad you haven't added this feature yet. I like everything else about your product.
Cosmin

Hi,

Thank you all for your feedback.

We are glad to announce that we have implemented the "reset counter for input folder" feature in BatchPhoto 4.4, you can download it from here:
https://www.batchphoto.com/get

Here you can learn more about the new release:
https://www.batchphoto.com/version-history.html
Regards,
Mike Cosmin Unguru
Product Manager
  • Information