Crashing TIFF to JPG Conversion

Can't figure out how to do a task? Ask here.
radium

I recently purchased BatchPhoto Pro mainly for RAW to JPG conversion, which works great so far.

I've discovered an issue converting large groups of +70MB TIFF files, to JPG (at 100% size.quality). BP fails to process more than a few TIFFs at a time, then crashes. I've tried running 'as administrator', and disabling the "Use multicore processors..." setting in BP, but the same results.

I'm running the latest Win10 on a 12core Xeon CPU with 32gb mem + Nvidia.
Cosmin

Hi,

Thank you for using BatchPhoto.

The first thing that you can try is to disable multicore processing but you've already done that. You can also try to disable the previews from within the app so that less memory is used by the interface.

Unless you can send us a batch of TIFF files that cause the crash it's hard to debug the problem. You can upload the files to a file transfer site and give us the link at support at batchphoto dot com.
Regards,
Mike Cosmin Unguru
Product Manager
radium

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply.

Ten or so large TIF files work fine, but 100s of TIFs were causing BatchPhoto to crash.

Deselecting mulicore processors and the Show preview options does help, and I was able to successfully convert 100s of large TIF files to the default 'Pictures folder. Unfortunately it still crashes every time I select my 4TB 3.5 HD on a USB caddy. It only works, if I select an output folder on my local laptop.

Although it does work for one or two batch conversions or large TIF files, I find that BatchPhoto starts getting glitchy if I start another batch conversion. When it starts crashing, my only option is to reboot, then start the process again.

Smaller RAW files covert perfectly every time, to my local drive or USB drives.
Cosmin

Hi,

Thank you for the additional information.

> Although it does work for one or two batch conversions or large TIF files, I find that BatchPhoto starts getting glitchy if I start another batch conversion

This is strange. We will try to reproduce your problem.
Regards,
Mike Cosmin Unguru
Product Manager
Reiuji0611

Yes, it sometimes happens to me as well! It really needs a ton of .tiff files to be converted at once, but it sometimes happen.
I just thought it was a hardware limitation and just converted a bigger number of smaller batches, but if there was a way around it, it'd be great.
RonaldEdild

Hi Mozzy,

You should be able to work with pictures from most consumer cameras quite comfortably i.e up to about 18 mega pixels. Where SPE needs a lot of memory is when youre selecting areas of large pictures. How big was the tiff you tried to load?

Tony
Reiuji0611

Thanks for telling about the 18mpx limit, I've checked, it does work better with that type of pictures! I was converting bigger pictures in batches, that could have been the reason behind my issues.
  • Information