CPU Usage Low

Can't figure out how to do a task? Ask here.
jtperceptions

Hello, I am resizing a folder of photos from a Samsung NVME drive to another Samsung NVME drive, and both are extremely fast. But my CPU usage is only about 21% for BatchPhoto. The only thing I am doing is resizing a large amount of photos to 30% of the original's size. It seems like my cpu is not being utilized as it could be. I use a i7 8700k with 32gb of ram.
Thank you for any suggestions!
Cosmin

Hi,

Thank you for using BatchPhoto.

On your CPU BatchPhoto should launch 12 processing threads, but even through your storage devices are very fast they are no match for the CPU. The IO operations are the ones that take most of the time even when using high-speed SSDs. Also the Resize filter only takes a little processing power so if you add more computationally expensive filters like for example the Sepia or Charcoal filters the CPU will go much higher than 21%.

Please let me know if this answers your question and if you have other questions.
Regards,
Mike Cosmin Unguru
Product Manager
Reiuji0611

This, the drives can't simply transmit info fast enough to give the CPU an actual workload.
By the way, what would be a way to get faster data transmission from an outer drive to the computer? That data speed bottleneck is often a problem for me...
Cosmin

Hi,

You can try SSD external drives with a USB-C connection to your computer.
Regards,
Mike Cosmin Unguru
Product Manager
Reiuji0611

Thanks for the advice, I'll go check these out at the local electronics store!
  • Information