Error when processing many files.

Can't figure out how to do a task? Ask here.
[email protected]

I have approximetely 3400 TIF files all approximetely 130 mb in size. These are in a directory structure organized by film roll number as follows:

ScannedFile
R001-R050
R001F001.tif
R001F002.tif
etc
R002F001.tif
R002F002.tif

...etc

I set up BatchPhoto to process all the TIF files into JPG and store the JPGs in a separate directory. After processing for approximently an hour through 50+ rolls of film, BatchPhoto starts behaving badly generating lots of errors and empty files. It generates files of the form

R058F011.jpg
R058F011-1.jpg
R058F011-2.jpg
R058F011-3.jpg
R058F011-4.jpg
R058F011-5.jpg
R058F011-6.jpg
R058F011-7.jpg
R058F011-8.jpg

for multiple files. Each of the -n files are empty (0 length). The errors are all unable to write with some unable to load messages. There is a source file F058011.tif and it appears that BatchPhoto is trying to process the file multiple times. This happens for multiple files (not just R058F011).

Robert.
Cosmin

Dear user,

When you are converting a multi-page TIFF file to JPEG, BatchPhoto will create for each page of the TIFF file a JPEG image, since JPEG is not a multi-page format. This is why you are getting multiple JPG images for a multi-page TIFF (e.g. R058F011.jpg, R058F011-1.jpg, ... , R058F011-8.jpg). The -n files may be empty because the respective pages from the TIFF file are also empty.

Can you send us some samples for the TIF files that cannot be read by BatchPhoto at support at batchphoto dot com? We will investigate this forward once we have those files.
Regards,
Mike Cosmin Unguru
Product Manager
[email protected]

Yes, these tiff files all have two pages; the primary and a thumbnail. I checked the TIFF files with Adobe Acrobat Pro Version 8 and confirmed there are two pages. When I use BatchPhoto to process the files individually, it produces two files (filename-0.jpg and filename-1.jpg). However, when I was processing all 3900 images, it would produce as many as 7 images (filename-0.jpg, filename-1.jpg, filename-2.jpg, filename-3.jpg, filename-4.jpg, filename-5.jpg, filename-6.jpg, filename-6.jpg).

A new problem that I am encountering is when I try to process a folder of images BatchPhoto will produce "Failed to load>>" messages on some of the files. Yet, I can process these files individually or in a smaller group without error.

I am using a quad core processor and allowing BatchPhoto to use multiple cores. Unfortunately, I cannot supply these photos because of their size. These were produced by a Nikon CoolScan 4000 at full resolution and produce tiff files of approximetely 130mb.

Robert.
[email protected]

A little more information. It appears that on the multi-core processor, once a thread has processed a multi-page tiff, it cannot properly process a single page tiff. BatchPhoto generates a "Failed to load" message for the single page tiff and then processes the file as if it were another page in a previously processed multi-page tiff file. Sounds strange, but I checked the files and that seems to be what happened.

Robert.
Vali

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your feedback. We will investigate this issue further and let you know when we have a fix.
Regards,
Valentin Firan
BatchPhoto Team
[email protected]

A little more specific information on the behavior I have encountered.

I have a large collection of two page tiff files; one page is a huge tiff image (130 mb) and the other page is a thumbnail. All of these images were generated by a Nikon scanner as landscape images from negatives. In some cases I have used Windows image viewer to rotate the landscape image by 90 degrees to match the image content. When I look at these tiff files using Adobe Acrobat Professional, the main image is portrait (rotated) while the thumbnail is not (stilll landscape).

I am using BatchPhoto to process these images into jpgs. BP is running on a Windows 7 single processor 4 core desktop. If I use BP to process a folder full of all landscape images, it works beautifully. No issues. No errors. If I use BP to process a folder of mixed images, that is landscape images and portrait images (rotated -- see paragraph above), then I get strange behavoir. It seems that if a core has processed one or more landscape image and then encounters a portrait (from rotation) image, it does two things: it displays a message that it is unable to load the image and it processes the image as if it were an additional page in the previous landscape image it processed. Finally, if I use BP to process one of these portrait (from rotation) files it only produces a single jpg image file -- it is as if the thumbnail image does not exist in the tiff file.

Robert.
  • Information