Advanced resize changes not recognised in PhotoshopCS6

Can't figure out how to do a task? Ask here.
domhill

Hi there

I've recently downloaded a trial run of the BatchPhoto software.

I've created a batch in Batchphoto to resize images from 300DPI to 72DPI (the aspect ratio is maintained)

Unfortunately (although I can tell the image has changed size) photoshop doesn't recognize the change and still thinks it's 300dpi and the proportions are the same (even though the image is blurry).

Is there some way I can get photoshop to recognise the file changes?
domhill

*Update

I've just spoken to our IT guy and he thinks that the metadata is causing photoshop to reference the last time it opened the image (hence why it thinks that images are 300 dpi instead of the altered 72).

Is there anyway to remove this data during the batching process?
Is this a photoshop issue or a bug in Batchphoto?
Cosmin

Hello,

When you change the DPI for your images with BatchPhoto, it will change the DPI in the EXIF metadata record associated with the image. When you change the DPI with the Resize Advanced filter, BatchPhoto will not change the actual size of the image in pixels but only the DPI settings in the EXIF metadata. This is used by other programs to calculate the dimension of the image in inches/cms.

You can change the size of the image in pixels by modifying the "Document Size in Inches" or the "Image Size in Pixels" settings from the Resize Advanced filter.

To see the EXIF metadata change you can right-click the images from Windows Explorer and select Properties, then select Details and you can see the Horizontal and Vertical Resolution fields that have changed.

Photoshop should see this DPI change from the EXIF metadata but I'm not a Photoshop expert so I may be wrong.

Please let me know if there is something else.
Regards,
Mike Cosmin Unguru
Product Manager
Cosmin

Hello,

Here is a follow-up: I've just tested my assumption and it worked for me in Photoshop CS5.

I had a 350 DPI JPG image for which I've changed the DPI with the Resize Advanced filter to 72 DPI. I've opened both images in Photoshop CS5, then I've selected from the main menu Image > Image Size. The Resolution (the DPI equivalent in Photoshop) was correctly shown for both images as 72, respectively 350 pixels per inch.
Regards,
Mike Cosmin Unguru
Product Manager
domhill

Yeah I have been using the advanced resize filter.

When I resize an image that has been used by Photoshop before it doesn't recognise the DPI change made in Batchphoto.

However

If I take a screenshot of the image, and then adjust the DPI in Batchphoto, Photoshop will recognise the DPI change.

When I remove the following field in the metadata Program name: Adobe Photoshop CS6 (windows) it will recognise the DPI change made in the original image.

I think this is because Photoshop is somehow referencing another bit of metadata? Do you think this is a Photoshop issue or a Batchphoto problem?

If I can sort this issue out I'll be purchasing the enterprise ASAP.

Thanks for your help
domhill

Just an FYI

I've been on the Photoshop forum and they came to the following conclusion:

Photoshop reads the EXIF metadata, and will get the resolution from that.
So they're doing something not-quite-right in their metadata modification.

Here's the link to the discussion. I've included images and everything because I wasn't able to post them here.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7318312#7318312
Cosmin

domhill wrote:When I remove the following field in the metadata Program name: Adobe Photoshop CS6 (windows) it will recognise the DPI change made in the original image.
This is confirmed by my experiment. So it seems that images that were not created with Photoshop (and don't have the Program name set as Photoshop) are correctly read by Photoshop with regard to the EXIF Horizontal/Vertical resolution fields but images created with Photoshop and modified with BatchPhoto are not.
domhill wrote:I think this is because Photoshop is somehow referencing another bit of metadata? Do you think this is a Photoshop issue or a Batchphoto problem?
So Photoshop has a "double standard" for reading the EXIF Horizontal/Vertical resolution fields, they do it one way with general images and another way with Photoshop generated images. But I'm not saying that they are doing something "not-quite-right" since they are the ones setting the laws :)

Unfortunately we don't know how Photoshop reads the resolution for images generated by Photoshop so there is nothing that we can do about this.
Regards,
Mike Cosmin Unguru
Product Manager
  • Information